St Augustine Academy is required to run a consultation on its oversubscription criteria for September 2021.
The item being removed from our existing criteria is :-
3. Health and Special Access Reasons - Medical / Health and Special Access Reasons.
The rationale for this is because any specific medical issue significant enough to influence learning development will be identified in an Education, Health Care Plan (EHCP) and these students already have a priority.
Any comments to be made in writing to Mr J Feldwick, Principal c/o Mrs Y Lambert, St Augustine Academy, Oakwood Road, Maidstone, Kent, ME16 8AE by Friday 13 December 2019. Click here to read the full document: Proposed Admission Arrangements 2021
St Augustine Academy admits 150 pupils into Year 7. The Sponsor is committed to an Admissions Policy that provides education for all children. Admissions and oversubscription criteria are consistent with other maintained schools in Kent and are explained in the Kent County Council admissions booklet.
The Academy fully complies with the School Admissions Code of Practice and the School Admission Appeals Code of Practice as these apply to maintained schools. In the event that there are too few places available to satisfy all applications, places are allocated according to the following oversubscription criteria:
- Children in Local Authority care
- Current family associations (i.e. brother or sister in the school at the time of entry)
- Health and special access reasons (for which a medical certificate would be needed)
- Nearness of children's homes to the school
Please note the following deadline dates:
- 31 October 2019 - You must have applied for schools by this date, either online or by returning Kent’s Secondary Common Application Form (SCAF) to Kent Admissions.
- 2 March 2020 - Offers of school places will be sent out. Email messages will be sent after 4pm to parents who applied online, and letters will be posted first class.
- 16 March 2020 - If you want your child’s name put on the waiting list for any school you named on the SCAF but were not offered, you should let Kent County Council know by this date. You must also let the school you have been offered know whether or not you are accepting the place by this date.
- 27 March 2020 - If you want to appeal for a place at any school you named on the SCAF but were not offered, you should do so by this date.
- 22 April 2020 - Any vacant places will be reallocated by Kent County Council, using the schools’ waiting lists.
- After 22 April 2020 - Waiting lists will be maintained by schools who will fill vacancies as they arise. Parents who have already received an offer of a school place can approach schools directly. If you have moved to Kent too late to be included in the co-ordinated process, you should contact the Admissions Team, who will assist you in finding a school place.
If your child is due to start secondary school in September 2020 you can appeal between 2 March and 27 March 2020 to guarantee that your appeal will be heard by 18 June 2020. For applications made in the normal admission round, appeals must be heard within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging appeals. For late applications, appeals should be heard within 40 schools days from the deadline for lodging appeals where possible, or within 30 schools days of the appeals being lodged. For more information please see the KCC - Determined Secondary Scheme 2020/2021 document below.
Where parents have lodged an appeal against the refusal of a place and a place becomes available at the school, the place can then be offered without an appeal being heard, provided there are no other applicants at that time ranked higher on the Academy’s waiting list, which is held in accordance with the academy’s oversubscription criteria.
St Augustine Academy have made the decision not to include the proposed new criterion relating to children adopted from care outside of England to our admission oversubscribed criteria. This is following the Local Authority’s decision not to include it in their criterion.
In Year casual admissions: if you are moving into the area or want to change schools, parents should complete an In Years Casual Admission form obtainable from Kent County Council and return to St Augustine Academy. Please find the form below.