St Augustine Academy admits 150 pupils into Year 7. The Sponsor is committed to an Admissions Policy that provides education for all children. Admissions and oversubscription criteria are consistent with other maintained schools in Kent and are explained in the Kent County Council admissions booklet.
The Academy fully complies with the School Admissions Code of Practice and the School Admission Appeals Code of Practice as these apply to maintained schools. In the event that there are too few places available to satisfy all applications, places are allocated according to the following oversubscription criteria:
- Children in Local Authority care
- Current family associations (i.e. brother or sister in the school at the time of entry)
- Nearness of children's homes to the school
St Augustine Academy- Defence Statement September 2021:-
We have offered and filled 160 places. This number equates to 10 student places above our PAN of 150.
We currently have 762 students predicted to be on roll for September 2021.
We will run 5 classes in Year 7 for all our subjects except in PE, Technology and Food.
To help reduce the need for and stress of appeals I have already offered 160 places. This takes us to our maximum capacity. We have five different classes in Year 7 for core subjects equating to 32 in each class. Therefore in all normal classrooms we will need to add an extra table to ensure 32 students can fit. This is the maximum that can fit safely into our classrooms.
In Year 7 we run 7 PE, technology and food classes. The recommendation for effective and safe running of these areas is 20 students. Through adding an additional table in design and technology and an extra cooker in Food we have taken this to 24 students in design and technology and 22 in Food. 160 students means that there is an average of 23 students per class. This is at our maximum for our agreed health and safety risk assessment for these areas and above the national recommendations for these subjects. We only have one food space and one design and technology space.
We have no more budget or teacher availability, in any subject, to offer further classes.
Frequently Asked Questions about admissions, due to Coronavirus
What should I do with my admission paperwork?
- Complete the paperwork according to the deadline and as soon as possible, If you can email us your admission paperwork, that might be better. We would like to reassure you that we have colleagues working on this as a priority. If you have any questions please contact the Academy office.
What should I do with my appeal paperwork?
- The appeal form is shown in the list of downloads below. Aim to complete this as soon as possible and if possible email it to us. We would like to reassure you that we have colleagues working on this as a priority. If you have any questions please contact the Academy Office.
- We will be liaising with Kent about any changes to timescales and we will publish these on the website.
Please note the following deadline dates will be subject to alteration:
- Monday 2 November 2020 - You must have applied for schools by this date, either online or by returning Kent’s Secondary Common Application Form (SCAF) to Kent Admissions.
- Monday 1 March 2021 - Offers of school places will be sent out. Email messages will be sent after 4pm to parents who applied online, and letters will be posted first class.
- Monday 15 March 2021 - If you want your child’s name put on the waiting list for any school you named on the SCAF but were not offered, you should let Kent County Council know by this date. You must also let the school you have been offered know whether or not you are accepting the place by this date.
- Friday 26 March 2021 - If you want to appeal for a place at any school you named on the SCAF but were not offered, you should do so by this date.
- Wednesday 21 April 2021 - Any vacant places will be reallocated by Kent County Council, using the schools’ waiting lists.
- After 21 April 2021 - Waiting lists will be maintained by schools who will fill vacancies as they arise. Parents who have already received an offer of a school place can approach schools directly. If you have moved to Kent too late to be included in the co-ordinated process, you should contact the Admissions Team, who will assist you in finding a school place.
- *More guidance will follow about the appeals procedure as due to the Coronavirus, as these dates can't be adhered to.
If your child is due to start secondary school in September 2021 you can appeal between 1 March and 26 March 2021 to guarantee that your appeal will be heard by *17 June 2021. For applications made in the normal admission round, appeals must be heard within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging appeals. For late applications, appeals should be heard within 40 schools days from the deadline for lodging appeals where possible, or within 30 schools days of the appeals being lodged. For more information please see the KCC - Determined Secondary Scheme 2020/2021 document below.
Where parents have lodged an appeal against the refusal of a place and a place becomes available at the school, the place can then be offered without an appeal being heard, provided there are no other applicants at that time ranked higher on the Academy’s waiting list, which is held in accordance with the academy’s oversubscription criteria.
St Augustine Academy have made the decision not to include the proposed new criterion relating to children adopted from care outside of England to our admission oversubscribed criteria. This is following the Local Authority’s decision not to include it in their criterion.
In Year casual admissions: if you are moving into the area or want to change schools, parents should complete an In Years Casual Admission form obtainable from Kent County Council and return to St Augustine Academy. Please find the form below.
|Our Academy - Admissions||Date|
|St Augustine Academy Admission Arrangements September 2021||15th Jan 2021||Download|
|KCC - Determined Secondary Scheme - 2020/2021||19th Jun 2019||Download|
|KCC - In Year Admission Form||06th Sep 2019||Download|
|Scheme Statement||08th Feb 2021||Download|
|FAQs for School Appeals||08th Feb 2021||Download|
|Secondary appeal form 2021||24th Feb 2021||Download|
|St Augustine Academy Admission Criteria 2022-2023||24th Feb 2021||Download|